Saturday, March 28, 2020

Feedback: Image Scanning Speed

Tonight I got some helpful feedback from someone about the speed of scanning images:
I don't know if it's intentional, or if it comes from interaction with my other addons but I'm forced to wait 30 seconds in front of a blank page before seeing the site display, let the site display with images replaced by white squares or another image would allow us to start reading it without waiting.

Thank you anonymous user! Based on this I'd like to gather feedback from others as well about image scanning speed - it would really help me out if you would please take the survey at https://forms.gle/vgQZ1fMG2WxuCzop7 Note the survey will close after a while.

Now, back to the suggestion: I hear your feedback and would like to implement something like that. Given how the plugin works, I'm not entirely sure I can make it do quite what is hoped for, but I am going to think about it. If you're willing to listen to a bit more technical explanation, let me explain.

Images are scanned as they get downloaded. Unfortunately, in order to scan them, I need to have the whole image, scan it, and only then start passing along the image once I know it's good. I have a bit limited control about what happens downstream, as I can only pass along an image.

Compare this to what typically happens with web pages that load progressively: the page quickly loads thumbnails or placeholders, and then comes back and replaces them.

Currently, the way the plugin works I don't have a chance to come back and "fix up" the images - I only get one shot. So the typical way to do this is not available to me. I could potentially play some other tricks to accomplish this, but I do not yet see a clear path and I have to take into account general performance as well. So stay tuned, and don't forget to take the survey because there are other ways to tackle this problem as well! https://forms.gle/vgQZ1fMG2WxuCzop7

No comments:

Post a Comment